Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Fighting the Fat Man

Like many others in the USA, I've had to deal with weight gain issues. A couple years ago I got pretty hefty. Due to health issues with my wife, the two us decided to radically change the way we eat. So we've been on a kind of Southbeach kick for the past year or so. It's pretty easy to stick to after the initial strict six months I lost about two pants sizes. Through maintenance periods such as now, I've gained and lost here and there. But I've stayed down around my new weight range.

But like they say once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. I think the same is true with eating, once a fat guy always a fat guy. Sure I might have gotten my weight down (I'm still hardly at a perfect weight) and I eat a lot better. Inside me though is still that fat guy whose voice has been getting louder and louder. The dude is getting cranky in there. Sweets and pastries are a weakness for me. I love the cakes, I love the donuts and I especially love a good Apple/Raisin fritter. The fritters are the toughest to resist for me, and wouldn't it just be the way that they are popping up everywhere. Grocery stores sell them, Krispy Kreme just started offering them, and so does Starbucks. I must mention, that a Krispy Kreme and Starbucks are right across the street from my office. Talk about temptation.

I keep telling myself it's not worth it, gotta be strong. But its feeling like a losing battle. I won't lie, I've eaten the fritters here and there. Fortunately Starbucks doesn't always stock them every day. Thank God... Doesn't make the fat man happy though.

5 Comments:

Blogger CurvyDiva said...

You look very good. A treat every now and then won't kill ya...just watch those daily fritters I know you would love to have.

Thu Oct 13, 09:43:00 AM EST  
Blogger Chimpanzee Rage said...

Yea, dont eat em every day but indulge yourself every now and then. I used to eat a 1/2 dozen donuts at a time...you can resist! Its worth it, ya look good, keep it up.

Thu Oct 13, 11:34:00 AM EST  
Blogger Gary Raymond Fry, Jr. said...

Speaking as someone who gained close to 40 pounds this summer and returning
to a pre millenium weight of 260 pounds I applaud your efforts and look to you as a role model that it can be done. My starategy.....and this is painful.....no eating out, and no fried chicken except for once a month.

Fri Oct 14, 01:02:00 AM EST  
Blogger droracle said...

Thanks for all the support! I'm fighting it as best I can and I'll continue the good fight. I've taken to walking up and down the stairs here at work instead of taking the elevator to help get a little more exercise, every bit helps. I'm not going to let the fritters win and I'm staying away from that Krispy Kreme.

Fried Chicken once a month for you Gary that is a big deal. I know you can do it though man!

Fri Oct 14, 12:26:00 PM EST  
Blogger newthinker said...

I sure have a sweet tooth myself. And my growing belly can attest to that. One rule I have instilled on myself recently is to have no eating whatsoever after 9pm. On the nights that I actually succeed, I feel pretty good the following morning. But, I know how hard it is to have to restrict yourself; it's a losing battle. So I tend to just eat whatever I crave but in moderation. Of course, nothing beats a good old fashioned run on the treadmill; or take it outside while the weather is still good. Good luck to all of you; keep up the good fight!!

Tue Oct 18, 02:21:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home