Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Lewis Black at UMBC


Lewis Black
Originally uploaded by lloydpier1.
Last Saturday the wife and I had a chance to see Lewis Black at the UMBC Fieldhouse. He was there as part of the campus Homecoming activities. Since I happen to be an alumn of the University of MD, Balt. County I got a little knocked off the ticket price. So hey, a half-price show is always a good thing in my book. I like Lewis, he's a funny guy and though I don't always agree with the guy but I find him intelligent, talented and funny as hell.

Of course, the evening this show takes place, it is raining like gangbusters. The rain really throws off time estimations for travel. Getting to Catonsville from our house shouldn't be more than a 40 min ride at the most. But because of the rain it was anyone's guess on when we'd get there.

Now I am fine driving in the rain. The delay doesn't come from some difficulty I have in driving on wet roads. It's not a biggie to me, I'll keep trucking on and just be sure to give some decent braking space between me and my fellow motorists. No the problem comes from the fact that nobody else is this burg can drive in the rain. I swear, even the slightest drizzle results in grid lock for the DC/MD/VA area. It boggles my mind and always frustrates me. Because there isn't a reason for the slow down! So the rain added about 20-30 minutes to the drive. All I was thinking, was that we wouldn't find parking and the place would be jammed.

I was half right, I found a parking spot really quick, no problem there. But the Field House was packed! They oversold the show, so people including the two of us, had to sit on the floor or stand to see the show. Not very comfortable...it made my temper a little short especially when we had to sit through the first two warm-up acts both of which sucked.

When Lewis finally came on stage though things were good. He was hilarious, despite dealing with a bit of allergies. He did some of his regular stand-up and also did some relatibles about the area since he grew up in MD. All in all a good show.

And thankfully the ride home was better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home