Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Injured and Apple

My dog Bailey has been a directly...or at least partially related to my knee injury that I'm nursing tonight. She has habit of sleeping at the top of our staircase on the third level. Tonight, while trying to avoid her as she snoozed, I banged my knee into the corner of our wooden stair rail. It was loud and it hurt. And it continues to hurt, I have a sharp pain shooting through my leg when I try to bend it and put weight on it, like climbing the stairs for example. With a wife going into the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy, the time for having a bum leg couldn't be worse. The Lady wanted me to go to the ER to get it checked out. Even though it hurts like a mutha, I'm going to see how it does overnight. The dull ache doesn't bug me so much...just the shotting sharp pain when I try to use the leg...oh and by the way, with all the banging and cursing after hurting myself the dog didn't even raise her head. She kept right on snoozing away, unconcerned...man's best friend...

Totally unrelated topic but also on my mind was the MacWorld keynote by Apple CEO, Steve Jobs. As per always an interesting array of new products. This year there weren't any real surprises. I was more surprised by the products that weren't presented. I'd thought for sure a Mac Mini with an Intel Core processor would be on the list of items presented, but alas we are given an iMac that looks like the previous version with new guts and a MacBook Pro (really not sure I like that name) which looks a lot like a Powerbook, despite it's drastic changes inside. I like the performance promises given for both products, they sound like a good step up from their predecessors. Right now I'm thinking a MacBook Pro might be the way to go for my next 'puter... when the 2nd generation version comes out. I'm not one to jump on to these things when they are first produced.

The new FM Reciever for the iPod 5G is pretty neat. I got a new 60gb iPod for Christmas and I've been digging it. It's a different experience from my old 30gb iPod 3G. I never thought I'd be into watch video on a screen that size, but I've been downloading animation from the music store and watching on there...pretty good quality. If only Sony could get its act in gear and deliver video content so easily to their PSP.

On the software front from the keynote, the iLife '06 suite seems to address a long needed solution for easy creation of podcasts and simple web design. I skipped out on buying the '05 suite, since I usually alternate buying these kind of things every other iteration, but the current iLife will be a purchase I'll be making soon. Might actually put in the order tonight.

Maybe in Spring or Summer we'll see some beefed Mac Mini's that can serve as media centers and an expanded line of Intel products. This is a good start... but I want to see more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chimpanzee Rage said...

Geeze, hope its not your ACL or somethin, be careful there man!

Thu Jan 12, 07:44:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home