Friday, December 16, 2005

I Don't Know What I Want for Christmas

What do you want for Christmas?... A question that I've been asked often the past couple of weeks. Quite honestly I don't know. It just doesn't seem to be as easy anymore. When I was a kid, I'd circle & put stars next to all kinds of stuff in the big Sears Christmas Catalog or the Wish Book, whatever they called it. Actually we had a code system my brother, sister, and I would have our individual "symbols" when we marked stuff or we'd use our first initial. The Amazon wishlist has kind of taken the place of the Wishbook. I'm not going to put a link to my wishlist, folks who know me can find it easy enough.

The things I want aren't really material things anymore. I don't need anything and I buy myself what I want when I can. The one gift I'd like is time. More time to spend at home, more time to spend with the few friends and family I have, and more time to spend doing the things I enjoy like drawing and writing. Time to just sit down and stop for awhile without letting worries, obligations and concerns of day to day life invade my thoughts. Time would be a great gift. Unfortunately it seems to be a commodity that has been increasingly rare lately, at least for me.

This Christmas all I can think about is next Christmas. That'll be the first Christmas with our son. He'll be going on 8 months old so his first Christmas should be great. That's a gift that I can't wait for. I was very fortunate to have great parents and siblings who all contributed to a happy childhood. I want my son to look back on this childhood with similar feelings. And while he probably won't remember his first Christmas, I still want it to be special.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary Raymond Fry, Jr. said...

Son!? It has been way too long. Drop me an e-mail so we can exchange current work numbers or whatever.

Fri Dec 16, 04:18:00 PM EST  
Blogger Heather said...

Allright, you are getting me all teary-eyed talking about Little Man's first Christmas. Hopefully, we will be there next year too, or sooner ;-)

Fri Dec 16, 10:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger droracle said...

Heather, it'd be awesome if you guys were back in the area.

Gary, yeah a son. I was wondering when you'd pick up on that reading through the blog here hahaha. My cell phone number is the same. I'll e-mail it over to you.

Mon Dec 19, 11:09:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home