Monday, November 21, 2005

Back from NYC Part 2

Sunday: Our time in the city was short on Sunday since we wanted to get back home to the DC area at a decent time. We started off the day in grand fashion at the famous Rainbow Room. That was such a great New York moment, one of those once in a life time experiences. The view of the city down below was incredible from the 65th floor, and the view of the buffet was pretty incredible in its own right. As I've established food is near and dear to my heart, and this was pretty close to heaven. There should be another word to define this kind of buffet, it shouldn't even share the same label of buffet used to define say, a Golden Corral or anything else with a sneeze guard. Not something we'd ever do again, but definitely an enjoyable experience. I now understand why the place is held in such high regard.

On a side note, the Rainbow Room is definitely a place where jackets are highly recommended, even required for dinner. There was a good segment of folks that weren't dressed for the room or experience at all, many looked as if this were just another hotel breakfast buffet or something. Its just amazing how people just don't dress for occasions anymore. I enjoy hanging out in jeans and a t-shirt, its comfy. It's almost my uniform on the weekends and after work. But when I go to theatre or to an elegant brunch, I wear the jacket & usually the tie. When I'm being served by gentlemen in tuxedos and eating to live harp music, wearing my Doc Martens and blue jeans doesn't really seem appropriate. It just a shame that there seems to be a increasing defiency of class by the populous. Sure I probably come off like a snob or a throw back old-timer in a 32 year old's body...but I think there should still be a time and place for casual clothes and a time be a little respectful of a place and dress to match it.

But I digress, back to the weekend. After our meal at the Rainbow Room we headed across the street to Radio City Music Hall to take in the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. I'd never been in the place before, but I'd read that they'd refurbished the interior back to its grandeur of the 30's and 40's. The place was beautiful, again great decorations for the Christmas holiday. The show wasn't too bad either, not exactly Phantom of the Opera by any stretch. The Rockettes didn't disappoint, the newly returned orchestra was in great form and the sophisticated stage mechanics were fun to watch. My Dad used to go there as a kid to see movies and shows, he said that it really did look like it used to back in the day. It brought back some good memories for him.

Basically after that we took a cab back to our hotel, checked out and headed home. The weather throughout our trip couldn't have been better. This is the second time we've gone up there this year, we always have such a good time that we going to try to make this an even more regular trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home