Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Howard is the Latest Maryland County to Ban Smoking in Bars and Restaurants

The pasttime of squashing the rights of Maryland smokers and business owners continues as Howard County government sets into motion a ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. I'm not a smoker, never have been nor do I intend to be. I don't even particularly like the smell of cigarettes, but I hate the idea of government dictating to owners of private businesses that they can't allow smoking in their restaurants or bars. Such descisions should be left to the individual business owner and subsequently the public can decide where they want to eat.

This anti-smoking crusade is based on tissue paper thin evidence of health risks caused by secondhand smoke. The rights of business owners and smokers are being trampled under this rolling crusade. These sorts of bans and regulations aren't what this country is supposed to be about, just angers me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home