Friday, January 26, 2007

Gaming Fun with Dr. Oracle

Holy crap its Friday already. After this week of working, I'm one tired dude. I've been putting in some serious hours these past few weeks. Trying to get this project together for work. And even though I'll probably put in a few hours of work this weekend in addition to getting housework done. I hope to have some quality time with the family and with my gaming systems. Oh yes, I do enjoy the video games especially after a week like this. I'm still riding high off of the influx of new titles I got for Christmas. On the portable front I've steadily been working my way through Final Fantasy III on the Nintendo DS. I've long been a fan of these Japanese RPG's while FF III doesn't offer much in the way of innovation its a solid game and the graphics have been updated to show of what the DS is capable of. In the GBA slot of my DS I keep either Final Fantasy Tactics or A collection of boardgames loaded.

On the PSP I've been into Sims 2, which is surprisingly different from the computer game of the same name. Its a much more story driven game, instead of focusing solely on life goals. I don't usually enjoy these console ports of the Sims games, but the Sims 2 on the PSP is actually a lot of fun. Others may disagree, and I can understand why it might not be for everyone especially if they were expecting something more like the PC version. I'm digging it though.

My biggest non-portable game distraction is my Xbox 360 that I picked up earlier this month. I haven't had a chance to play it as much as I've wanted. Every game I've gotten so far has been incredibly fun. Ultimate Alliance and Saints Row are the two games I've logged the most time with. Saints Row is a total rip of the GTA series, but who cares. They did a quality job of duplicating what is cool about GTA and improved on a lot of the things that bug me about GTA. Saints Row is a great way to relieve some steam.

Marvel's Ultimate Alliance on the other hand speaks to the console RPG lover and comic book fanboy in me. With over 20 playable Marvel superheroes in a game the spans most of their comic book universe... it's just too much fun. The graphics are so much better then on the orginal Xbox, a lot of fun. I've worked my way a little over half way through the entire storyline if they walkthroughs online are accurate. But even after finishing the game there is so much other stuff to explore. Replay value is high on all of these 360 games when you factor in online play, updates that are available from the online marketplace, and just by the depth of some of these games. I'm enjoying the Xbox 360 a great deal, it actually exceeds my expectations. Screw the Playstation 3, I'm getting exceedingly tired of Sony and they way they execute their product launches, the inept way they support their products once on the market, and various other blunders. The Wii looks fun, but all that flailing around isn't my style of gaming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home