Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Happy First Father's Day


I had a pretty good first Father's Day weekend. Saturday I had an good morning with the boy while Lady was out. Then the three of us just hung out for the day watching movies. On Sunday, we all woke up early...around 6AM. After the first bottle of formula for the day, the 3 of us went up 270 to the Waffle House near Urbana. I'd initially planned to make waffles with my new waffle iron, but since we were awake we decided to having breakfast out. It was a good move since we didn't have to deal with any of the morning holiday breakfast crowds.

In addition to a new waffle iron, I received a custom made gnome for my garden. I happen to dig gnomes. I'm a little choosy on the sculpt quality and paint jobs. This gnome exceeds all my qualifications, really excellent work and materials. I like him too much to even put him the yard. I definitely wouldn't risk him being in my front yard.

What's the deal with me and gnomes? I really loved the Gnomes book by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet when I was a kid. I checked that book out of the library so often they should've just given it to me. Always found them to be neat little knick knacks.

After spending the morning with my little family, I met up with my Dad to go the Yankees/Nationals game at RFK along with my bro, who happened to be supplying the tickets as a Father's Day treat for us. It wasn't the most action-packed game, but it was great weather, we had excellent seats, and the Nats beat the Yankees. Defeating the Yankees was especially sweet since about half of the attendees seemed to be New Yorkers and Yankees fans. To witness the wind being taken out of their sails in the bottom of 9th when Ryan Zimmerman hit a homer over the wall with a man on base to steal the victory from NY. Awesome ending for a fun day, couldn't have been scripted better.

The rest of the evening was spent with all of us having dinner at the folks place. A great day with family, which is exactly how I wanted my Father's Day to be. The only thing I'd change is I would've put on some sunscreen before going to the game. I got a little too much sun sitting out there. After attending plenty of summer concert festivals there when I was younger, I should've known better.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home