Saturday, January 28, 2006

Top DC Metro Comic Shops

I had the opportunity to spend some time in Georgetown on Wednesday. I was down there for a Photoshop conference, learning some new tricks on that application. During my lunch hour I ventured down Wisconsin Avenue to Big Monkey Comics, a comic book shop that was new to me. Now it's been awhile since I'd been in that part of DC, so they could've been around for awhile. I was very impressed with the shop and the staff. Wednesday is always a good test for a comic store since that is Diamond Distribution's delivery day to the shops or as I refer to it "New Comics Day."

Big Monkey Comics wasn't a huge store, but they managed to stock a lot of books and merch without making the store feel cramped. There was good conversation going on in the store that I actually joined in on. Anyone who knows me realizes that my joining strangers in an impromptu conversation is a rarity. But they actually had good, higher level topics of interest...better then the chit-chat going on in the stores I frequent in the suburbs. I think part of it results from the difference in city comic fans and suburban fans, which I'll maybe go into in another entry.

The wide selection and plentiful stock of comic books and merchandise really has Big Monkey up there as one of my new favorite comic book stores. I think I might actually drive down there just for that store. If I hook up with Wiscounsin Ave from River Road, I can get there pretty quickly without dealing with much of the traffic that can clog that area of town. Big Monkey also has and impressive web site, some of their comic community events I think are a great idea... something that is lacking in other shops in the area.

Georgetown is the mecca for the great comic shops of our area. Big Planet Comics has a store in that area as well. Big Planet Comics has a foreign and graphic novel selection that can't be beat. My main experience with them comes from their Bethesda, MD location. For what I remember of their Georgetown location, the selection of trade paperbacks and graphic novels is equally as impressive, even though the Bethesda store gives customers a little more elbow room.

Beyond Comics is my most frequented store in the area, and though its a strong store that has shown much improvement over the years its not my favorite for purely personal reasons. The Gaithersburg store has a very strong Manga selection, unfortunately most Manga isn't my preferred reading choice. I enjoy Japanese artwork and love anime, but Manga I don't feel offers me enough entertainment for the money. Often I'm not motivated to read Manga unless i see an anime that I really enjoy and want to read the original source material the anime was based upon. Of the two locations, Beyond Comic's Frederick, MD location would be my favorite because of the large selection of back issues and the well stocked shelves of new material. If I ever miss a new issue at the Gaithersburg shop I know I can find it in Frederick. Unfortunately, at these shops I don't find much of any comradery with the other customers or much with the shop staff with a few exceptions. Not like the instant "chemistry" experienced at the Big Monkey comic shop.

All three of these stores are really the top the shops in my opinion for a good comic store experience. If you have an interest in comics and live in the DC area you can't go wrong at any of them really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home