Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Superman Returns - MRR Movie Minute

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to see Superman Returns. Again the three of us went during the "Reel Moms" early showing for parents with infants. I had high hopes going in to see the film. The Superman movies, specifically the first two movies, are up there as some of my long time favorites from childhood on through to adulthood. After my painful disappointment resulting from the new Star Wars movies, another movie franchise I loved as a kid, I was very wary about getting excited about a new Superman movie. The more I read about what they were doing with this film the more I liked sounds of it. Bryan Singer is a good director choice. He did a decent job of bringing the X-Men to the big screen and The Usual Suspects is a film I'll watch anytime I come across it.

I enjoyed the film a great deal. In many ways it felt like a continuation of the Christopher Reeve Superman films, which is what Singer wanted to accomplish. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was great, his latest criminal scheme falls right in place with the characters past crimes in the previous movies. There were a couple things about the story I'm not completely on board with, but for the most part I dug the film.

Some of the great touches included, the CG Marlon Brando at the beginning of the film when Luthor starts the crystal control panel in the Fortress of Solitude. That really brought this movie into the fold of the original franchise. Including Jack Larson, the actor who played Jimmy Olsen in the old Superman TV show from the 50's, as a bartender where Clark and Jimmy hang out was a cool cameo. I'm sure it's no big surprise I watched reruns of that show religiously after school everday as a little kid.

I don't want to get into the story too much, because it hasn't been out long and I don't want to give out any spoilers. Suffice to say, I thought the movie was great overall. A great revival and continuation of the franchise that was started in 1978 with Richard Donner's film.

And if you disagree, feel free to share your opinion and I'll tell you why your wrong.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chimpanzee Rage said...

C'mon man...you know our highlight of the Superman movies was Superman 3.

Tue Jul 11, 04:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Hero Supreme said...

superman 3 gets a bad wrap. its pretty entertaining, and at least in that movie superman does more than just lift things.

Tue Jul 11, 04:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger droracle said...

Superman 3 looks like a masterpiece compared to Superman IV.

Tue Jul 11, 05:02:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home